The key to a smooth move is planning. The sooner you get started, the easier your move will be! Don’t forget your ALL Vegas Valley Realty Agent is here to help you every step of the way.
- Inventory your possessions.
- Discard items that you will not be moving.
- Plan your travel itinerary. Make transportation and lodging reservations in advance.
- Obtain estimates from professional movers.
- Collect boxes and packing materials.
- Address Change to Post Office; Insurance Companies: Auto, Health, Home and Life; Charge Accounts and Credit Cards; Subscriptions; Friends and Family; and Employers – especially to assure receipt of W-2 forms.
- Arrange insurance coverage on the new home prior to moving.
- Contact and arrange for gas, electric, water and trash service at new home.
- Schedule termination of existing utilities and delivery services.
- Pay existing bills, cancel local charge accounts and club memberships.
- Return library books.
- Schools. – Obtain copies of schools records and transcripts.
- Medical and Dental – Obtain copies of records and prescription histories. Ask for referrals.
- Pets – Obtain copies of records and immunization records. Arrange for pet transport.
- Banking & Financial Institutions – Don’t forget to remove items and close safety deposit box.
- Clean and prepare existing property for exit.
- Keep track of your moving expenses, some may be tax deductible! Note: The busiest moving season is the summer. Most people move on the first and last days of the month.
On Moving Day
- Remember to charge your cell phones. Take chargers and booster packs.
- Be sure to carry important documents (birth certificates, deeds, records, social security cards, driver’s license and passports) with you.
- Leave a copy of your travel itinerary with a friend, relative or your Agent.
- Double check closets, shelves and drawers to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Don’t forget to leave house and mailbox keys and garage door remotes.
- Take a plenty of water.
Welcome to Your New Home!
- Check that your utility services are activated.
- Change every access lock, alarm codes and mailbox lock.
- Register your vehicles, get a new driver’s license or update the new address and register to vote.